Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Two Days of Raw Food



I know you all are wondering...what happened after the juice fast of three days?

Well, we decided to eat raw foods for two days, 48 hours...and to me this was harder than drinking the juice. I don't really know why, but I felt more tired and hungrier..with more cravings. Hmm, maybe there is something to all those veggies being juiced and the nutrients (don't get me wrong I was hungry about all the time during the juice diet).

On Thursday, March 1st, we start out our morning with a smoothie, followed by a cucumber soup...and for dinner a garden wrap.

The berry smoothie became the best thing I had all week (other than the snack juice):

1 cup strawberries
1 banana
1 cup water
2 tbsp protein powder
1 tbsp flax seed oil (yes we happened to have this in the house)
After drinking only juice, this was more than filling. I did fine in the morning..but was really looking forward to trying the cucumber soup...with a side of tomato.

Cream of Cucumber Soup (From "Raw Food Made Easy")
4 romaine lettuce leaves
1 cucumber
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp garlic (1 clove crushed) - we used garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 ripe avocado
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
Oh, in theory this sounded lovely. I was so excited...it looked so green and creamy...the reality was...it was weird and the tomato was the best part. Pete added a lil more of this and that...and in the end...neither of us liked it. This was a total fail. Neither of us finished it, was making us fell sick! I ended up eating some trail mix and an apple to fill up. Blech!

When it was time for dinner we made up the Garden Wraps:
6 thin slices onion (Pete only)
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp of tamari (We had NO CLUE what this was when we went shopping, found out its organic gluten-free soy sauce)
1 large collard leaf (we went w/ green leaf instead)
1/2 ripe avocado
1/4 cucumber
1/4 cup grated carrot
So, this seemed like a dream after lunch! LOL, but in reality it wasn't anything special and I was like I'd rather eat a salad. It was pretty much like eating a salad wrapped in a lettuce leaf. I just wanted there to be bread holding it (regular wrap) or else meat inside...left me wanting more. Pete had all this (sans lettuce leaf) inside of Nori (of which I can't stand). It looked more wrapped up! He loved his.
On Friday, we changed this up...and remember all recipes are for ONE person..double for TWO!

Berry Smoothie
1 cup blueberries (a little under actually)
2 strawberries
1/2 blood orange
1 banana
2 tbsp protein powder
1 tbsp flax seed oil
1 cup water

Oh, so this tasted alright...yep..it did. Until you let it sit 5 minutes...sure wasn't as good as the other day, but then it got TERRIBLE! It hardened up like pudding! It was like drinking pudding...or worse. Ugh. I couldn't finish mine, I sure tried, though. Pete added water to his to cut it. Wow, sure won't be adding citrus and protein powder again any time soon!

For lunch, I took all the ingredients that made up the cucumber soup and turned it into a salad! I had some salad dressing mix on hand and just added balsamic vinegar and olive oil to taste...with a bit of water. This worked out so much better, and I was SO happy! Oh, I added crushed almonds on top also...
Then for dinner, I did the same thing, same ingredients as the Garden Wrap, but in a salad. I was quite alright with eating salads twice. Only problem was...I really started to crave things...like meat.

Once midnight hit...Pete and I both kept saying we wanted a burger...oh we wanted a burger...and then we did the UNTHINKABLE! We went to Wendy's after midnight! We got two Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers and to me it so wasn't worth it. Pete said it satisfied his need...but I'd have rather not had it. I went and ate a banana and some trail mix to get the greasy feeling out of my mouth!
 
I have to say...going raw food was tougher than juicing..I think because you expect it to taste good! LOL...and with juicing you don't expect that so its OK when it doesn't. I personally found I had  more cravings with the raw food, although with the juicing I had a lot more day dreaming about food! LOL. Who knows, but I consider that we survived both of them..and did both of them...since my indiscretions were after midnight. ;)

I told my vegan friend in Tampa, that I thought it must be easier to be vegan than to be a raw foodist. I stand by that! LOL. I'd rather eat vegan foods than raw foods solely. I enjoy raw foods when I want them, but all day every day, whoa!

No comments: